La Musique

Monday, July 10, 2006

Festivals

It is difficult living without internet. Currently, I can only log online using the school's computer. Hence, I cannot upload pictures now. But I promise I will do it as soon as I am back home in KL.

Recently, we celebrated Canada Day (July 1, 2006). Everyone gathered at Churchill Square to hang out. There were food, handicraft stores, face-painting, animal balloons for children, and many more. My friends and I strolled around for a bit and then we walked to Winspear Center to watch a two-hour cultural show. I took low-quality pictures of the show (my camera is outdated-lah). Surprisingly, the Chinese fan dance was impressive. Except the song was a little too screechy. The Ukranian Folk Dance was the best! It was so colourful and exciting. Some of the Indian dances were erm ... not too interesting. They should have shown those cool Indian dances where they shake their bodies vigorously. *Shake shake shake* Those are really cool. I remember watching a performance like that in SMDU. I think it was Teacher's Day or something. There were two Indian girls dancing so well. I was impressed! Sadly, they didn't have that performance here in Edmonton. After the cultural show, we had dinner at Old Spagetthi Factory. The display of fireworks at the river started at about 10 p.m.. We managed a good view of the fireworks. I took lots of videos!

So, that was a whole day of fun.

On Saturday, I went to watch Pirates 2. Johnny Depp is sooooooo sexy! *tee hee* I can't wait for the third movie. I heard that it has been filmed and Chow Yun Fatt is starring in it as some Chinese pirate. Akakakaaa, that I must see! Yesterday, Yee Ying and I watched FIFA's final game - Italy vs. France. Poor Zidane. But yay, Italy won! After the show, we headed down to Churchill Square for the Edmonton's International Street Performers Festival. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera along, but you can check the website to get a glimpse of what it is like. I thought it was very entertaining for both children and adults. I hope to go there again sometime because this festival runs for the whole week. I got myself a really cute animal balloon too! (picture will be shown later). The guy who made it was an expert. He has been doing this for a living for 17 years. And the squirrel that he made for me was his original design in a previous competition. At first, I wanted a turtle. But he said he could only make a really small one. Then he asked me if I wanted a small lady bug too. I asked him if he could make a beaver but he said he couldn't make it with the amount of stuff he had. So, I ended up with a squirrel :) and it was really, really cute! It was also holding a walnut in its hands! I was so happy :D

Ah, that was one great weekend. There are so many festivals here now in the summer. Many more festivals in August, but I will be back in KL at that time. At least now I can say Edmonton isn't such a terribly boring place after all!

1:26 PM | |