La Musique

Monday, July 17, 2006

Grow Up

She needs to grow up. Fast. Otherwise, she will keep using her immature mind for her selfish needs.

The story goes like this. I attended a forum two weeks ago. She and two graduate students attended it as well. We had to pay $150.00 for registration. After the forum, we were told to just give the receipts to the professor as he will reimburse the fee. However, just last week the graduate student told me that we had to fill out two additional forms to receive the reimbursement. We were in the main office when he was telling me about it. I asked him to show me how to get the forms online. As he was giving the necessary instructions, she came around with her usual fake cheerful self, "Oooo ooo, what's interesting here? What's going on?"

I figured she must have heard us talking about it. She puts up an act as if she didn't eavesdrop on our conversation. Anyway, it was not a big deal as all of us had to fill out the forms. One way or another, I would have had to tell her about it. When she came, the graduate student explained to her about the forms. I was sitting in front of the computer just keeping quiet. Then she asked me to print out a copy for her as well. I told her that you can fill it out electronically and then print it out, and so I asked her to save a copy instead. Obviously, she wanted to know how to get the forms. I did show her how. Okay, so that was it. I can't remember exactly when the graduate student told me that we should prepare the forms before Friday so that we can retrieve the professor's signature after the meeting. Well, perhaps it was really my fault that I forgot to tell her about it. But you see, the point is that you don't expect people to tell you everything or assume people will get everything done with your presence. It is your own responsibility to ask.

When the meeting was over, I asked the professor to sign our reimbursement forms. Apparently, she didn't have them with her at that time. Perhaps, she was already feeling bitter because the three of us prepared the forms. My friend called my name from across the table. She was standing beside my friend. And I really couldn't make out what was going on because my friend just mumbled something and pointed to her.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"How do I get the forms?"

"I told you the last time. You can get it on the website."

"No, you didn't."

(Okay, I was a little outraged at this point)

"Yes, I did."

"No, you didn't. Everytime I ask you, you would just ignore me and you don't show it to me."

(What??? Excuse me? She never came and ask me anything after that day!!! She was literally trying to defend her poor, pitiful self by putting the blame on me. Grrrr.)

"Yes, I did. Ming was there too. I showed it to you," I replied quite sternly.

Then, she just started packing her things up and said softly with dissatisfaction in her tone, "It's okay, just show it to me after this."

And, she left the room.

I was so pissed off. That was such an immature act. Obviously, she was feeling bitter just because the rest of us prepared the forms. It is possible that she might have felt that we were isolating her out but the truth is we weren't. Like I said, you can't expect to be spoonfed. She could have asked anyone, even me or the graduate student about it but she didn't. Showing her temper like that was really rude and childish. Especially at work!

Eventually, I showed her how to get the forms again. I had to because we had to give her the birthday card. Even so, she didn't even apologize or anything and continued to act chirpy and cheerful. Gosh. Weird.

Speaking of her birthday, it was on Sunday. She sent an email to my Yahoo! account stating of the plans for her birthday. Actually, I didn't check my email until today. I rarely open this email account because nobody sends me mails there. Here's how it looked ...

Hey Everyone,

For those of you who are busy on Sunday, feel free to join me for dinner on July 16th at Rose Bowl at 10111 117St (on Jasper Ave). Apparently, they have the finest pizza in town and have Karoke...

If you are not joining us for the afternoon festivities (which have now been changed to the Devonian Gardens Traditional Japanese Tea Ceremony), you can meet us at the restaurant.

By Public transit from University of Alberta (or any other LRT station), go to Corona LRT Station. From there it is a 20 min walk (10 short blocks west). Or you can catch the #1 or #5 bus that stops on 106/Jasper ave (right beside the Boston Pizza). The busses come every 15 mins. They should say "West Ed or West mount?". They go down Jasper Ave.

I will make a estimate reservation according to what people have replied. Don't feel any pressure if you are busy.

Really detailed directions. Okay, focus on that last sentence. She said no pressure, right? My friend replied the email saying that she had dinner plans with her homestay family. Well, guess what she replied back?

"I told you a month ago. Anyway, enjoy your dinner with your homestay family."

That sounded so bitter. What happened to the "no pressure" chirp at the end of the email? Was it just written for fun?

Haha. Oh well. I'm so glad that my work term is ending in two weeks' time.

11:38 AM | |