La Musique

Monday, July 24, 2006

Festivals (Part 2)

I promised to post some photos. So here they are!

Besides Canada Day and Edmonton Street Performer's Festival, which I talked about previously in Festivals, I also went for Capital Ex, and visited Fort Edmonton Park.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Canada Day (July 1,2006) - Anchal's moose on her face

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Canada Day's Cultural show

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The squirrel that I got from the balloon man. Cute, cute? ^^

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



On Wednesday, I will be attending Taste of Edmonton 2006. I can't wait! I heard it's really good. I must remember to bring my camera along this time.

On July 15, Jackie brought me to Fort Edmonton Park. This park is a reconstruction of Fort Edmonton which was established in 1795 as a trading post (fur especially) for the Hudson's Bay Company. This for was reconstructed in 1969, representing it as it stood in 1846. The park represents four distinct time periods. It is basically like a step back into the past! First, we took the train to "Fort Edmonton" in the park. I heard that this train is one of the last standing steam-engine trains.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inside the fort - I can't remember whose house was it. It was a fairly large house.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Picture taken from inside the teepee.



Then, we walked through "1885 Street", which represents the settlement era from 1871 to 1891, with historic buildings and reconstructions of that period.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



After that, we walked through "1905 Street". This is the year that Alberta became a province of the Dominion of Canada. Modernization took place further as we walked through "1920 Street". It does feel like the past. There were people dressed up like in the old days and walking around, greeting you "Good Day!" and telling you stories of their families and what not.

As for Capital Ex ... I forgot to bring my camera again :( But I found some really nice pictures online. It's basically a really huge carnival ... or you can call it a fun fair. There are rides, games, exhibitions, and concerts (Nelly Furtado, Simple Plan, and many more). The concert tickets are pretty expensive so I didn't go for it. We watched the Bellydance Superstars and it was really breathtaking! It was free. Not a single cent to watch that performance :) and it was good. I didn't go on the rides because there were ridiculous line-ups. And it was so very hot that day. 35 degrees celcius in Edmonton. Hot, hot, hot. At night, there was a fireworks display. It was even better than the fireworks that I saw on Canada Day.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All in all, that's the summer fun I experienced so far in Edmonton!

3:27 PM | |